Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me


So my birthday comes up on Saturday, and rather uncharacteristically I'm fairly excited for it. Let me explain: I don't like making a big deal out of my birthdays or even out of birthdays in general.

Now I enjoy a good celebration as much as the next person. Parties are a spice that I enjoy sprinkled quite liberally throughout my life, but I've never seen birthdays as that big of a deal. I understand the mania surrounding the fact that one has survived another year, but I've just never gotten into it myself.

This may have to do with the idea that a lot of people ask for special treatment on their birthdays. I highly prize sincerity, and there just seems something inherently insincere about asking someone to perform an action for me simply "because it's my birthday." I would hope that A) what I asked of the person was not something outlandish and B) given that my request was reasonable, that the person would perform it for me regardless of whether or not it was my birthday, simply because of the rapport we share.

Nevertheless I cannot wait for Saturday to roll around. There's a lot of stuff happening: the Georgia football season opener against Boise State, a pool party, a feasting of homemade strawberry cupcakes, and finally a late-night trek into downtown Athens. If I wasn't pumped for those events already, the fact that it's my birthday probably wouldn't have changed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment