Thursday, August 25, 2011

They Come in Threes

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one in the world that has unlucky happenings. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of you have even experienced the unluckiness in threes. You know what's the scariest part about that?... when you've already experienced the first two situations and you're just waiting in anxious anticipation for the ominous third event.


Right now I'm waiting for unluck number three. And it's killing me because the last time the wrath of threes happened, I ended up with two-thirds of a thumb and no appendix.

Since returning to Athens two weeks ago, I've already experienced two annoyingly unlucky car mishaps. (Yes, that's twice I was stranded or nearly stranded in two weeks!) On my first Saturday back, I went over to a friend's new apartment to catch up and reminisce of recent years. On my way home at 2 a.m., when I was still two miles from home, my tire blew. And I'm not talking about a slowly seeping whistle, I'm talking near-explosion and embarrassing noises only semis should make. But don't you worry. That didn't stop me from driving all the way home on my rim. Oh no-sir-ee, I made it home alright.

Then exactly one week after that, I was selected as the DD for Terrapin Brewery, which would have been fine if "unlucky number two didn't strike. That's right, my battery died without a single spark of spirit left, and it seemed everyone in the world who owned jumper cables didn't make it to Terrapin. My friends and I did catch a ride from another friend, but it was another 24 hours, purchased jumper cables and $150 before my car was back in its parking spot and looking pitiful.

So now I'm waiting, and I'm scared to even drive my car. Can the next event be worse?  Does un-luck come in threes for you too? What do you think? Should I even be worried about number three?

No comments:

Post a Comment