Friday, September 2, 2011

Get Off the Road (Please?)

Excuse me, UGA bus drivers, but can you please stop yelling at pedestrians while you’re speeding down Broad Street with an over-packed bus? That’d be awesome.

Lately it seems that the bus drivers have very little patience for people on the sidewalks. Or crossing the street. Or driving in the lane next to them. Or doing anything that contributes to traffic at all.

And I get it. I mean, if it were me behind the wheel, the horn would go off like "Little Miss Sunshine" and every bright-eyed bushy-tailed smile that rode would hear a string of curse words that slowly faded only with their exit of the bus.

Which is why I’m not employed by Campus Transit. My road rage really squashes any chance I might have had (as does my driving record). In fact, I’m that bright-eyed bushy-tailed smile that endures the yelling and fist shaking of the driver at 9 in the morning, and it’s a little unsettling.

Slamming your foot on the gas to get a 40 foot bus through the yellow light does not start the day off on a high note. Neither does coming inches from hitting a group of girls crossing the street, all the while yelling obscenities at them for walking too slowly. And every time I start to think my doctor should be on speed dial, the bus comes to a graceless break-squealing stop, and wide-eyed students are lost in a sea of flailing arms and airborne legs.

I suspect many a bruise has been contracted on the UGA buses, and I’m willing to bet that most of them could have easily been prevented with a little patience from the driver. Please tell me I’m not the only one who feels this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment