Monday, September 12, 2011

Remembering an American Tragedy


I was sitting in my seventh grade social studies class. I thought having substitute teachers in all of my classes that day was unusual, but my social studies teacher returned midway through--about a half hour before school was over. She brought news of the earth-shattering variety.

How could we be attacked? Who would do that?

I didn't understand it until I returned home to see both my parents watching the news. They weren't usually home until dinner time. Seeing the replay of planes crashing into the Twin Towers with my own virgin eyes made it real but it still didn't make sense.

I thought we were safe. America is the greatest country in the world. We're invincible right?

Fear grew each time the towers crumbled on ensuing news replays. Not only were both towers attacked, the Pentagon was also hit by a hijacked plane, and yet another hijacked plane crash landed in a field in Shanksville, Pa.

Thousands of innocent lives were lost that day. A nation fancying itself invincible was riddled with fear and smarting from the harsh blow of reality. Though our country is great, we are not invincible. Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.

News reports for the following months heavily focused on renewing the sense of security we--as Americans--had grown accustomed to. There were reports about what to do in case warfare escalated to the point of nuclear warfare. Computer models illustrated how to turn a household bathroom into a safe-house by covering the edges of the doors with plastic and duct tape, and sealing off vents completely to prevent extensive radiation exposure.

I made sure my parents paid attention to these reports by quizzing whether we'd be prepared to stick out the fallout. I wasn't sure I'd be around to get my driver's license, or even have a girlfriend. For all I knew, Smitha Middle school could be the next target.

Ten years later, I'm still around. I'm about to graduate from college and partake in real life. Many things have changed since 9/11. Some good, some bad. I can't imagine the heartache of those who lost loved ones that day. Thoughts and prayers of countless people including myself have been with them and I sincerely hope that they will be united with those they lost in paradise.

For those of us who remember Sept. 11, 2001, we remember where we were. We remember the onset of fear, gripped by the notion that we could be next.

However, we were united as citizens of the United States of America, the greatest country on earth. Nobody can take that from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment