Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Keep Your Seats Everyone...

The game ain't over yet!

I'm one of those girls who is obsessed with football. I know as much about the sport as a guy (or so I'd like to think), and I wait on pins and needles every year for the season to start.

And this weekend, it happened. The Georgia football season finally started. The Bulldogs traveled to Atlanta to play in annual the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff game against the Boise State Broncos. To say I was excited about this game would be a huge understatement. Boise State, for those of you who don't pay attention to football, has been a powerhouse in the Western Athletic Conference. They went undefeated a couple of seasons in a row, but they were never invited to the BCS Championship game because their schedule wasn't considered as "difficult" as say the schedule for any SEC team.

We had a huge opportunity to prove that the SEC was the best conference in the nation and that the Broncos really weren't as good as everyone thought. Well, we failed to say the least. Honestly, by the scoreboard, I'd say we did pretty well. I mean at least it wasn't a shutout. There were some poor play-calling (ahem, Mike Bobo) and some key errors made on both defense and offense. I, however, was more disappointed by the performance of the Bulldog Nation rather than the team.

I wanted to scream at all of OUR fans who were booing OUR team. Really? You're seriously going to kick your team when they're already down? To boo them in a stadium that was clearly one-sided was embarrassing for our team. The Dawgs worked hard all summer for this game, and hey, no one is perfect.

The one thing that upset me the most was when people left the stadium early. I NEVER leave a game early. I don't care if we are up 50-7 or down 7-50; I never, ever leave a game early. I was there to cheer on my team. To support them no matter what. Whether you believe it or not, the team needs us. They need to know that we are behind them for better or worse, for richer or poorer, for winning or losing. Walking out on your team is like walking out on a friend or a significant other. You're telling that person that you've given up on them.

I will never give up on my Dawgs.

This Saturday is another chance for Georgia to step it up and show the nation that we've still got it. But what I want to see is better sportsmanship from our fans. I agree with Jeremy Dailey and what he said in the Red & Black. I'd rather see Sanford Stadium half-full with true Bulldog fans then have the stadium packed with fair-weather fans who are going to boo my beloved Dawgs and walk out early.

No comments:

Post a Comment