Monday, September 12, 2011

They see me trollin'

On campus and around town, I've noticed the return of everyone's favorite fire-and-brimstone preachers. You know, the ones who kindly inform you that you're going to Hell as you try to enjoy your Chic-Fil-A or cram for the upcoming chemistry test.

I'm often temped to confront these people, to challenge them for shouting such a distorted version of my faith, and I've seen many other people do just that. However, I've come to realize that the best solution here is to do the opposite.

This epiphany came from an unexpected place. Like most people my age, I spend way too much time on the internet. Instead of Facbook stalking, I lurk around favorite sites, read news and play crappy Flash clones of Pac Man.

I've learned a lot of important lessons from my time online. I know that doing a Google image search for Disney princesses can destroy a childhood. I know that there's not a Nigerian prince that wants to send me millions of dollars.







A Tate Preacher, sans mask.
But the most valuable lesson I learned is applicable to real life as well: Don't feed the trolls.

Online, trolls are people who post in forums, blogs, or elsewhere with the intent of harassing and riling others up. A troll is successful when it gets lots of counter posts and comments, causing people to devote time and energy towards a fruitless task.

These trolls don't just haunt online message boards--they're real, and they're all around us.

There's something to be said for standing up for what you believe in and openly criticizing those who take on ridiculous and dangerous agendas. Even if you don't convince them to change their minds, you can at least deter others from following them.

But when those people are beyond convincing, and no one takes them seriously anyway, you're just adding fuel to their fire. I think this is the case for most of the infamous ""Tate Preachers." Confronting them just draws attention and gives them an audience, which is exactly what they want. Even if your logic prevails and you out-argue them, they've already won.

As the oldest of four boys, I know a thing or two about real life trolling. Growing up, my brothers would harass me and I'd go complain to my mother.

She would always respond, "Just ignore them, and they'll go away." Sure enough, it usually worked.

Without the satisfaction of my annoyance and attention, my brothers would get bored and go elsewhere. Maybe if we just ignored the Tate Preachers, they'd go away, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment