Friday, September 9, 2011

Let's Talk About It

Guys, you won’t believe what I saw yesterday. I totally saw a magician in the student center. He wasn’t wearing a cape or anything, because he was a modern magician. Instead, he had what I could only assume was a utility belt for his craft. Each pocket had Wiccan-like symbols on it, which only added to the enigma surrounding his being. I was intrigued, to say the least.

See, I actually work at the student center doling out bits of information to any lost patron. “Why, yes I do know where the bathrooms are!” “Of course I’m a student here (you clearly just interrupted my homework).” “Believe it or not, I have a map right here.” Our goal is to make everyone feel welcome to approach the desk with any question, and written in the manual is a rule to help achieve this: Every person that comes within 5 feet of me, I must acknowledge verbally.

I love it. It’s not answering questions that I love, but talking to the people that are comfortable enough to carry on long conversations with an info desk employee. I’m like the sober man’s bartender.

You can imagine the characters that wander through on any given day. People who mistake me for being fluent in Spanish, people who have never been to Georgia before, people who are looking for the airport and somehow wound up at the student center but “that’s okay because I would like to show you a few tricks”—they’re all there. And the magician.

He’s what made me appreciate it the most, I think. He just wanted some coffee, and I just wanted his life story. He never told it to me, but that’s okay. I’m persistent and I work a lot. I’ll get it out of him.

Besides, I have the 5-foot rule on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment